Some of this is a bit scientific!
- On average, sperm are produced at a rate of 1,500 per second per testicle.
- Sperm take 74 days to form and a further 26 days to mature and pass through the epididymis and vas deferens.
- A sperm lashes its tail 800 times to swim 1cm.
- Sperm reach the Fallopian tubes within 30 60 minutes after ejaculation into the female tract.
- Sperm normally only survive in the vagina for up to six hours as the acid vaginal secretions are hostile once in the alkaline mucus of the cervix, however, they can survive for several days.
- The average survival time for a sperm in the female reproductive tract is 3 4 days. Live sperm have been found in the female tract 7 days after ejaculation, but whether or not they are capable of fertilization remains unknown.