What is Cystitis and how can I treat it?
Cystitis occurs when there is an inflammation or infection of the bladder lining and urinary system, which most women will experience at some point in their lives.
Cystitis can be caused in many way:
- The Urethra is very short in the female body and can often be more susceptible to infection when wiping after visiting the toilet. Make sure you wipe from front to back.
- Frequent sex.
- Wearing trousers or underwear that are too tight for you.
Don’t leave it until you are in agony – usually if you have symptoms, the condition will get worse so get it treated as soon as you can. There are some other ways to help relieve symptoms:
- Avoid sugary food and drinks
- Take painkillers
- Drink plenty of pure cranberry juice as it can help to fight the bacteria.
- Help to flush out your system by drinking plenty of water.
If you feel that you have any symptoms of cystitis, please speak to your pharmacist who will be able to advise you on a suitable treatment. However if your symptoms persist or you are in severe pain, visit your doctor.